Standing Before Kings

As a 22 year old college graduate 5 years ago, I had no idea what I needed to do to become "successful" in life. (I still feel like I don't know much) All I remember is how lost I felt. Everyone was asking me what I was going to do and I, frankly, had no clue. I just wanted a job. I didn't care if it was in my field of study or even how much it paid. I just didn't want to be one of those stereotypical millennial college graduates that lives in his parents' basement until he is 30 years old.

The funny thing is, as a wrestler, I knew exactly how to become successful. It was pretty easy. You work really hard, you practice a lot, and you listen to your coaches. There is a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea. There was a clear path. If I do these things, I can become really good, and if I become really good, I can become an All-American or a National Champ. Of course it wasn't a guarantee, but I could at least give myself a realistic shot at it.

Then real life came along and it was like starting all over again as a nine year old trying my best just not to get pinned every match. I had a lot of knowledge, but no real skills and experience. I was hoping people would see the "potential" in me and give me a shot. If I could just get in the door somewhere, they would train me and I would become really good and move up the ladder and eventually I would become "successful" in life. I didn't get it... I was putting the responsibility of me becoming successful on whoever I worked for. It was their job to train me and teach me what I needed to know to become really good at my job.

Fast forward 5 years and here I am today as a  27 year old, and I still feel pretty stinking lost. Only now, I think I have a little better idea of what I need to do to become my version of successful.

Proverbs 22:29 says "Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men."

I heard someone make a reference to this verse recently and I have been thinking about it ever since, because the real-life application of it is so good. It is basically saying "If you want to be successful, become really freaking good at something". In wrestling, if you want to be a national champ, become really freaking good at wrestling. If you work in sales and you want to be the best in your company, become really freaking good at selling stuff. If you are a writer and you want to write a best-seller, become really freaking good at writing.

It's so simple, but for some reason so few people can get a handle on this concept. Recently I was reading a book and it said something along the lines of "If you aren't willing to wake up a half hour earlier every morning to chase your dream, you don't want it bad enough". That line hit me right between the eyes. Ever since then, I have been waking up a half hour earlier every morning to work on becoming really freaking good at what I do. I know I am a long way off from becoming what I want to be, but I know eventually it will pay off, because there are very few people doing what I do to chase their dreams.

If you want to be successful, being really good at something is not optional, but so many people think it is. They look at successful people and they think how lucky they are. And they say things like "must be nice..." or "if I had the talent they have..." The reality is, anyone and everyone who has ever made anything of themselves has paid a price to win. And if you aren't willing to pay that price, you will never be what they are.

If and when you do become really good at something, (because you paid the price and did things that other people didn't), it will take time, but you will stand before kings. Excellence is so rare in our culture that people won't be able to help but notice you. You will stick out like that buff guy at the gym with the tiny little tank top on (but in a good way).

I don't know about you, but that motivates me to take ownership of my personal growth instead of waiting around for someone to give me my "big break".



Comments

Popular Posts