Don't Let Your Tragedy Go To Waste

As we were talking I noticed a small tattoo on the wrist of her right arm. The tattoo was in a different language so, being the nosey person I am, I asked what it meant. She said the writing meant hope. I thought that was pretty cool so like any normal person I asked to hear the story behind it.

Like anyone who gets a tattoo, I assume that she had been asked about the story countless times. I could tell she was prepared to answer. But at the same time, it wasn't easy for her to answer. This tattoo story was like none that I had heard before.

The spot on her wrist with the tattoo was the same spot where a bruise was left after she was raped by someone she thought was a friend. She went on to talk about the struggles she has had following this horrific experience. The main struggle being with feelings of worthlessness. Though she was still working through these issues, her tattoo was a reminder of the hope that we have in Jesus no matter what we go through in life.

Her story was incredibly sad, but inspiring at the same time. Instead of letting the tragedy destroy her, she uses it as a reminder of God's goodness and to give hope to others.


A Choice
When I talk to my wrestlers about the hard things they go through on the mat, be it an injury, a loss or something else all together, I tell them they always have a choice to make. They can either use the experience to improve or they can let the experience make them worse. They will not stay the same after a trial. They will either get better or worse. I have yet to find an exception to this rule.

I believe the same is true in life. Whenever something bad happens to us, we are faced with a choice. Get better or get worse. There is no in between.

I have an unproven theory that this phenomena is what explains why many elderly people are either mean, bitter and angry or they are the nicest people ever. The mean, bitter and angry elderly people have spent most of their life choosing to let their bad experiences make them more mean, bitter and angry. While the super nice elderly people have chosen to use their bad experiences to grow and help others.

Again, this is just a theory. But it makes sense if you think about it.


The Great Reversal

If you are over the age of six, chances are something bad has happened to you in life. If not, be patient, something bad will happen eventually (it's one of the few guarantees in life).

I believe that tragedies are one of the weapons Satan uses to try and bring us down. And it usually works. But on the flip side, I believe the same tragedies that Satan wants to use to bring us down can become our greatest victories.

The ultimate example of this is Jesus' crucifixion. When the sinless Son of God was murdered on a cross, I'm sure Satan thought he had just achieved his greatest victory. It was the worst crime ever committed and Jesus was the victim. What more could Satan want?

But that is not how the story ended. Three days later Jesus rose from the dead, defeating death, destroying Satan's victory party and saving all of humanity in the process.

What Satan thought was his greatest victory ended up being his greatest defeat, and ultimately the greatest victory for good in the history of the world!


What to Do With Your Tragedy
If you let Satan win all of the pain that you went through or are going through will be for nothing. Satan's ultimate goal is to destroy you completely.

In the case of the girl at the beginning of this post, she could have gone into deep depression and chosen to reject God. But she didn't. She did not allow Satan to win. She took the terrible thing that happened to her and used it for good.

I don't want to make this sound like an easy thing, because it's not (if it was, we wouldn't have any mean old people). But I really do believe it all boils down to a decision. Will you let your tragedy take you down? Or will you use it for good? The choice is yours.


Comments

  1. I am two months into a great tragedy. My almost 3 year old son and I were in a terrible car accident. My fiance and I are both in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) he is a paramedic and I'm an EMT-B we had pulled over for another accident because we didn't see an ambulance there yet. I stayed in the car with my son (flashers on). After i turned the flashers on I took me seatbelt off to check on my baby and not long after, we got rear ended by a box truck going between 55 and 60MPH. I lost consciousness but woke up screaming and my son was slumped over in his car seat. My fiance took care of my child to establish his airway and the Fire Department came and cut me out of the car. My son and I were both flown to John's Hopkins. During that helicopter ride to the hospital I didn't know if I was going to live or die and before the accident I didn't claim to be a Christian, I grew up in a Christian home but I hadn't really put my faith in Christ. So I said to God that if i lived, my life was His. And I lived.
    My son was diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and I have a lot of broken bones which include all the ribs on my right side with the acception of my 4th rib. Ribs 1-3 were ligament fractures, ribs 5-12 were actually broken. I had a hemopneumothorax. I had 500ccs of blood built up in my right rib cavity which warranted a chest tube with suction on my right side. A lacerated liver. Several spineous process fractures in my back with bulging disks, and I ended up getting a fusion of L2 and L3. There are more injuries but not major ones. The surgeon who did my back surgery said I should have been paralyzed and if I was sitting straight when the accident happened I would have a severed spine (Divine intervention). The injuries itself doesn't include the emotional pain of my son laying in a hospital in a medical induced coma with tubes going down his throat to breathe for him. On top of that I couldn't physically be a mom to him, right then I was on my own dose of sedatives. Flashforward to today, December 23rd, 2018, my son is healing. He breaths on his own which the doctors said he most likely wouldn't do (a miracle). My son is back to an infant level both cognitively and physically. But I believe God is going to use this to reveal something about Himself to me and to all those praying for him. I'm also dealing with a battle of the mind. Long story short I'm dealing with withdrawal from all the heavy pain medications I have been on. I'm also dealing with depression and trying to process the accident. I have PTSD and it is difficult for me being in a car. I can't drive. I don't have a car and I have to humbly rely on others for transportation. I am not even living at my home because I want to be close to my son. My son is in intense inpatient rehab but I can't lift him or move him I have to watch everyone else take care of him. I also can't stay overnight with him because of my back. I have to fight every day to pray and read/listen to the Bible. Not only that but my parents have moved away along with my little brother to Asia shortly after I got out of the hospital. And my parents were two of my biggest supporters and I miss them. But I know that God is going to use this for good no matter how I think or feel. And I trust His plan. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to share your story! Being a new father myself I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through right now. Your attitude through everything is truly inspiring! It will be incredible to see how God uses your story to impact others in similar trials throughout your life.
      Thanks for reading.
      You are a hero!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts