An Eye Opening Experience

During the summer before my junior year of college I had an eye opening experience. I went down to American University to train with Steve Fittery, who was an eventual 4 time All American. My first time down there I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew Fittery was a DI All American, but I also knew I was pretty good as well so I was hoping to at least compete with him... Man, was I wrong.

The first time I wrestled live with Fittery he kicked the living crap out of me. I felt like I was in slow motion compared to him. Never in my life, up to that point, had I been beaten that badly. I couldn't even count the number of times I got pinned. Needless to say, it was a humbling experience.

That day changed everything for me as a wrestler. I realized that I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I was. There was a whole new level that I hadn't even begun to tap into. That summer I went from being a pretty good college wrestler to a dominant college wrestler. I attribute much of the change to the eye opening experience I had at American University.

I believe every wrestler needs to find a way to tap into that next level. The best way to do that is to find someone who is way better than you, and train with them. It might not be fun getting destroyed, but it will open your eyes to how good you can really be. Taking a good beating has a way of shocking you out of complacency and I guarantee it will make you better.


Comments

Popular Posts