Why I Coach

This post will be a little more personal. Much like most college wrestlers, before I graduated from college I always knew I wanted to be involved in wrestling in some way, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to pursue coaching as a full time career.

After college I found a job as a Sales Assistant at a manufacturing company and I became an Assistant Coach at my high school Alma Mater, Bel Air High School in Maryland. I was a Sales Assistant and an Assistant High School Wrestling Coach for almost two years before I found out about an opening at Heidelberg University for a Graduate Assistant Wrestling Coach position. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to move from Maryland to Ohio right after getting married, along with sacrificing my income and having to attend school. If I am being honest, I really do not like school. I love learning, but not in school. I learn far more outside of school, but that is besides the point. The point is, I had to risk a lot to come to Ohio for this position.

After some deliberation, I decided that I did want to pursue the position so I applied for the job. Shortly after, I ended up driving eight hours out to Tiffin, Ohio two days before my wedding for an interview. A week later, I was offered the job while I was on my honeymoon in Cape Cod (which is a beautiful place). After discussing the matter with my new Bride, I decided the next day to take the job.

When I first started at Heidelberg I was still not sure if I wanted to use the opportunity to go into coaching full time and become a Head Coach or use my MBA to go back into the business field. I don't know exactly what it was, but very shortly after I started I decided that I wanted to eventually become a full time Head Coach at the college level. There is something  unique about being a coach that I haven't experienced in any other job. Coaching may be one of the most frustrating and stressful jobs there are, but I think that is why I enjoy it so much. There is always something different happening everyday. Of course it doesn't hurt that I love wrestling with a passion and I love being around the sport in any way, shape, or form.

But there is something else that I enjoy even more than the wrestling and the unpredictability of the job.

As a coach I get to play an integral role in the development of young men. This past season one of my wrestlers wrote me a note. It was a simple note, but it meant a lot to me. He said that he had only been around broken relationships in his life and he was inspired by the relationship that my wife and I have. It was very humbling for me to receive this note. To know that God was using me, a broken, messed up, sinner to impact the life of even one young man was just amazing.

I am still learning how I can impact the lives of my wrestlers in a positive way. Sometimes I never see any personal or spiritual growth in my wrestlers, but I know it is happening. And every time I see just one young man grow as a person it inspires me to keep doing what I am doing. Maybe it is selfish of me to get satisfaction out of seeing my wrestlers start to become better men, but I do. That is why I get up in the morning to do my job. I know God is using me and coaching just happens to be what I do.

Wrestling is my mission field. My greatest purpose in coaching to to bring glory to God. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I believe that if I can help teach young men how to be great citizens, husbands, fathers, and followers of Jesus Christ, I can bring glory to God.

That is why I coach.

Comments

Popular Posts